2010-08-13

I have no qualms with erasure. It feels easier to destroy, remove, rub out than it does to rush headlong, or line first, into the unknown, to create. I like a blank page more than anything and rejoice in any opportunity to return to emptiness, which is fuller than anything I could say. And so in a moment of erasing, I have to practise some discernment and sensibility of leaving something of this drawing still on the glass. Which bit? How much? And who am I leaving it for if I don't need it?

3 comments:

Chay-Ya said...

Email from Kim:
my first thought was - don't do it!!  i haven't seen the windows yet, but maybe it's like planting a garden - give it a little time to cultivate itself with the attention it receives from its environment.  otherwise it's just empty windows - there are plenty of those around.  i'd rather look at and through the ones with your drawings on them.  but i can definitely understand the impulse.  emptiness is not annihilation - which one is it you're leaning towards??

Chay-Ya said...

Email from me back to Kim:
I deleted half finished and bits that were relevant in the moment, just enough to give me some breathing space and create something.
I like your garden analogy. I feel like I had to rip out some weeds and old things that weren't being productive so I had some space to turn over and mulch properly. I think it was enough for today. Now I'm writing big big words....

Chay-Ya said...

Email from Kim:
oooh, I forgot about weeding.  i like that!